Top Secret: Project Blue Book S2 Intel From Comic Con
Written By: Melissa Girimonte
Project Blue Book isn’t back until early 2020, but that didn’t stop the cast and producers from dropping by San Diego Comic-Con to look back at Season 1 and give fans a sneak peek at the upcoming season. In attendance were Aidan Gillen (Dr J. Allen Hynek), Michael Malarkey (Capt. Michael Quinn), Laura Mennell (Mimi Hynek), and Neal McDonough (General James Harding) along with creator David O’Leary and showrunner Sean Jablonski. We were lucky enough to be in the audience as they teased some of the upcoming storylines and what’s in store for these characters.
Here’s some of the intel we gathered about Project Blue Book Season 2 from the panel:
1. According to O’Leary and Jablonski, the story picks up about six months following the events of the Season 1 finale.
2. They announced that they’re starting the season by delving into Area 51. Although the events in Roswell, NM took place in 1947 — outside of the Project Blue Book timeline — they’ve found a way to bring that to the show and reopen the case, creating a direct line from Roswell to Area 51. It’s going to be an origin story for General Harding, based on Nathan Twining, the real-life inspiration for Harding. Twining was present in Roswell and responsible for helping to cover that up.
3. At the end of the first season, Hynek and Quinn made a pact to look further into what’s actually going on. Malarkey shared that there’s still a “healthy amount of friction” between the characters, and it’s not about to become like a buddy cop series. However, Gillen added that the show really works when the characters have fun together, so we’ll see more of them getting to know each other as well as their relationship outside of working on cases together.
4. Malarkey also mentioned that Quinn is experiencing some inner conflict. He’s trying to reconcile giving his life to military service — something that he believes in — with the things he’s seen that he can’t explain.
5. Mennell excitedly told the crowd that Mimi will be focusing on helping Allen out in Season 2, and will be interacting with the Project Blue Book team. She will have ties to a civilian UFO group while officially working for Project Blue Book. She explained how in real life, Mimi Hynek was instrumental in helping Allen with the Center for UFO Studies.
6. McDonough talked about how we are going to start seeing the consequences of Harding having to cover things up, and how it takes a toll on his character both personally and mentally. As the creative team discussed, Harding was in Roswell in 1947 and knew what was going on. They’re going to “tap into the humanity in Harding” and why he’s having a difficult time remaining a patriot. This includes a forthcoming scene in a confessional with Harding asking his priest if he believes in extraterrestrials.
7. They also addressed whether Harding doubts Quinn’s loyalty. McDonough said that Harding believes that Quinn is a patriot, but Hynek’s influence could be clouding things.
8. The discovery made in Antarctica in the Season 1 finale will be addressed right away. Although it’s not going to drive the second season arc, there’s a lot of mythology surrounding Antarctica and they wanted to open that door a bit.
9. The artifact that Hynek stole and the recurring symbol will also be addressed, and both will have a place throughout the season as the story and mythology deepens.
10. O’Leary and Jablonski confirmed that they are going to delve deeper into the Men in Black, and the character referred to as “The Unseen” or “The Fixer,” played by Ian Tracey.